Monday, November 15, 2010

Heartsongs, Waltzes and Sweet Tunes

Canyon Moonrise - John McGann



Intro:  E / G / E / D

(A part)   
E / G / C /F
Am / Bm / C / A
E / G / C / F
Am / B / E / E

(B part)
C / D / Em / C
G / Em / C / C
D / Em / C / G
C / F / F#m / B
Am / G / C / F
Am / B / E / E

There are some better, more complicated, more copyrighted...patented chords here: http://www.johnmcgann.com/canyon.html 

Cape Breton Home - Jerry Holland


(A part)

G / D / C / G / G / D / C / D
G / D / C/ G / C / D / G / G

(B part)

G / C / G / D / G / C / D / D
G / C / G / D / G / D / C / G

I like trying to play this tune. I've heard Ashley MacIsaac play it beautifully with Quinn Bachand. I wish that Jerry Holland had been around longer.    


Ashokan Farewell - Jay Ungar


(A part)
D / D / G / G / D / D / D / A
D / D / G / G / D / D / A / D

(B part)
D / D / G / D / D / G / A / A
D / C / G / D / D / D / A / D

"A scottish lament written by a jew from the bronx."


Rocky Shore


I think this is a Paul Cranford tune. He was a lighthouse keeper in Cape Breton and publishes great books of CB fiddle tunes. A lot of my favorite tunes are ones that I discovered through his book and CD "Lighthouse Collection." His website is http://www.cranfordpub.com/. I couldn't find a video or recording so I made one. And I love playing this one! The video for this is stolen from youtube. It is somebody's vacation in Cape Breton. I think it is Ingonish.


Give Me Your Hand... / Just Give Me Your Hand!




G / D / G / D / G / D / Bm / Bm
A / D / A / G / G / D / G / D
G / D / Bm / Bm / A / D / A / G
D / D / G / A / D / D / D / D
D / D / A / A / G / D / Bm / A
D / C / G / G / D / Bm / A / D

Its funny how an accordian can change this song...! I love the ways this song goes. It can be a vow and it can be plea.

Return From Fingal


Am / G ...

and along comes a helper...and is it nice.


Inion Ni Scannlain


Key of D...

I learned it from Lunasa albums and I think one of the members wrote it.

Helping Hands - Jerry Holland


Key of D

The video is of Qristina and Quinn Bachand playing this Jerry Holland tune at a tribute, I think at Celtic Colours. I love the "jesus!" by someone near the camera during the first few seconds!

MacDougall's Pride


Ashley MacIsaac and Quinn Bachand

Valley of Knockanure



The lyrical song is about fights and battles. I guess the version I play is about grain and trains.

Mary Jesse Gillis


This tune is from Paul Stewart Cranford's "Lighthouse Connection." I play it a bit slower than the way it is usually done.

No comments:

Post a Comment