Monday, November 29, 2010

Old Timey Tunes

Seneca Square Dance / (Goodbye) Liza Jane AKA Going Down to Cairo


I learned to play Seneca Square Dance via another tune called "Waiting for the Federals" very similar, but not quite the same. So it is a bit of a blend. (Square Dancing for the Federals? That has a ring of Dukhobor to it...) I also learned what many people play as "Going Down to Cairo" as Liza Jane (Goodbye). Confusing because there are lots of songs about Liza Jane...Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys do this well. One of the best versions I've seen is from the Transatlantic Sessions. It was one of the things I saw that made me want to learn to play fiddle. They are posted below....

Bob Wills - Goodbye Liza Jane


Transatlantic Sessions (Jerry Douglas, Jay Ungar, Aly Bain & others) - Goodbye Liza Jane





X





It appears the BBC has removed their copyrighted videos from youtube, but the Korean Broadcast Cooperative is still providing them! Liza Jane is at 4:50:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/wDcWi4vjUPQ/




Waiting for the Federals



The Cat Came Back!


This is a tune I have been trying to figure out. I love the sound of it.

Nail That Catfish to a Tree

I just figured out that my phone records half decent videos, so here is a quick rendition of Nail that Catfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment